We need your old newspaper clippings, and photos,
so as to update the history of the club and the site in general
Send your news to
- Sun 12th--Sat 18th ....................
- Sun 29st--Sat 4th ..The Junior Hurlers played Kinsale in the league and with both sides fileding much the same sides as the prevous week in the B league We again came out on top in a game that included 9 goals...The non exam footballers had a good win over Youghal in the first round but surely a 100 mile round trip is abit much for non exam LEAGUE games..Vincient Hurley played with the Cork Junior Footballers in a challange before the minor against Waterford, scored 1-3 in the first 7 minutes and then fell asleep by all accounts......Right Vince.....The non exam footballers beat Ballinora on the Friday night and John Murphy was a member of the Carrigdhoun Football team that lost to Doeneys in the Senior Championship, by all accounts alot of bad wides cost Carigdoun, John ended up with two points. Also David Murphy played again for the Cork Minors who beat Waterford on the Wednesday night in Thurlus to qualify for the Munster Final..The Junior B hurlers beat Shamrocks well in the League...
- Sun 29st--Sat 4th ..All roads led to Killbrittain on Sunday only for the match to be called off at the last minute, a bit of a joke really when the whole world knew that the Killbrittain pitch would not have held up against the rain. After much debate the match was fixed for Brinny(which was got ready the week before for the match, but never moved there) on the Saturday night by THE COUNTY BOARD and not Courceys as some people might have you think. Other games played during the week, the Junior BHurelers played Kinsale in the League and beat them well in the end. Minor Hurlers payed and beat Delaneys..All roads again led to Brinny on the Saturday night and after a good hours hurling the sides ended level, alot was said of the physical nature of the game but this is what Intermediate hurling is all about, Replay fixed for Bandon on Saturday 18th.
- Sun 21st--Sat 28th ..The Junior 2 Hurlers played Tracton in the South-East Hurling leaque on Tuesday night at fog infested Old Head. Due to the number of players training, this league was entered to give these players games. After a good hours hurling we lost 1-3 to 8 points, this league has fixed games for every second Tuesday and should give players some competitive games over the summer months. The Intermediate Hurlers completed their preprations for the clubs first ever Intermediate Hurling Championship game against Newcestown during the week, and all club members will make the short journey to Killbrittain on Sunday Afternoon to support the team. Its a big step up in standard but with a little luck we should put up a good performance.
- Sun 14th--Sat20th ..We represented Cork on Sunday in the Munster Junior Hurling championship which is held each year in Bruff Co.Limerick, where we played the Tipperary Champions, Fr. Traceys.After a good hours Hurling we qualified for the Munster Final where we will take on the champions of Waterford, on a date to be announced.
Monday Night the Minor Footballers went to Riverstick to take on the home side, after a good first half we were still in contention and we looked to be in good shape for the second half but Ballymartle came out storming and we were not able to weather the storm, we are still in a good position for the league, only one game left out of 9 alltogether and so far we have won six out of eight.Minor Hurling Leagues are starting soon so all players are to turn up for training in the comming weeks.
- Sun 7th--Sat13th ..The Intermediate hurlers played Bandon Sunday Morning but had to come away with a defeat, our performance in the second half was dismill, with Bandon winning every break, a big improvement is needed here, Back to Ballinspittle then for the minor Footballers who hosted Bishopstown and had a good win over them, that was followed by the turn of our juniors to host Mahunas and that game finished in a draw, thats two draws out of two matches for the Juniors.
On Friday night the Junior Footballers entered the 2002 championship against Shamrocks at Ballygarvan. After a reasonably good first have in which the backs played well but the moves seemed to break down in the forward line we were behind by a few points at half time. It took us all our time to break down a good Shamrocks team, more direct play over the last few minutes led to a Courcey goal which helped seal us the victory. From being 2 points down with about 4 minutes to go to winning by five points was a good turnaround, but the amount of wides left alot to be desired. But all in all a good performance due to the little training that this team has had due to Intermediate Hurling Matches. The footballers now have over a month and a half off to prepare for the next round.
- Mon 1st--Sat6th ..The Intermediate hurlers played Blarney on Easter Monday and at the end of a good fast game were beaten by a point, 1-10 to 1-9. The Minors had a good win over Mayfield on Friday night in the football league. Camogie went to Killkenny to play the Pan Celtic, they got to the semi's but lost that one, by all accounts a a good weekend of camogie
- Sun 24th--Sun 31st .....The week started in good fashon with the Minor Footballers winning against Nemo Rangers, the minors have now lost only one game in the League(against Tracton) and are at the moment looking good for a league play off. Iniscarra made the trip to the Fog covered Old head on Sunday, in the IHL, Inscarra one of the favourites for the championship, finally gave in in a very good match by 3-7 to 10pts. Bearing in mind that they had their dinner the night before. This match was a complete improvement from the Aghabullogue game the sunday before, The Juniors travelled to Carrigaline on Sunday evening for the opening round of the Junior League and came away with a draw 3-8 to 3-8, after some doggy refereeing( Not refering to you here Nealie) and Goalkeeping(who said that).Good turnout for training on Tuesday night and rummur has it that after all the players turned up on Sunday for the Juniors we might after all enter a team for the B league. The U21 footballers drew with Kinsale in the last round of the round robin, but are now out of the championship. The Junior Footballers had a good win over our friends in Ballinhassig in the League, only two weeks now to the Junior Football Championship against Shamrocks.The Minor footballers easily beat Carrigaline in the league and the camogie Seniors drew with Milford in a 2001 league game...(By all accounts more support is needed here)
- 1st-Sat 23rd......U21 Footballers
loose to Carrigaline and Ballygarvan in the championship, last match against Kinsale, looking douthfull now to retain our title..... The Intermediate Hurlers got off to a winning start by defeating Aghabullogue on the scoreline of 1-10 to 1-2 in the first round of the IHL..... The camogie Club held a very succesfull Table Quiz in the Specle Door Pub on Fri-15th with over thirty teams taking part..... The minor Footballers had good wins over St.Finbarrs and Crosshaven(who they play in the championship) in the League, .....while the Junior Footballers are top of the table in their section.....The first Draw of our 2002 Annual Draw was held and all deemed it to be a success, thanks to everyone who helped in the selling and indeed the buying of these tickets. This is the main fundraising of the club for the year and is the main source of finance for the new dressing rooms and future hall that the club have in the plans....Full details of Draw online soon.....
- Ticket selling in full
swing for the draw in March
- Football Leagues have
started for the year with two wins out of two for the junior
Footballers, but with 0 out of 2 for the Minors.
- The two pitches have been
closed as work is to be carried out on them, like re-sodding and
draining, and the training and matches are being held in the Old Head
for the next few months....Bring yer woolies
- Club AGM held in
Ballinadee School Hall, on Friday night 25th, All officers returned
unaposed. Full details in club officers page.
- Annual Dinner Dance held in Bandon Saturday
Night 19th. 71 players got medals and a great night was had by
- New Years Day Annual Club
Fada was again a great success with 25 teams of 4 taking part.