Match Reports 2001

[Click on the above links to see the match reports]

Many Thanks to the Southern Star Newspaper, The Irish Examiner, The Carrigdhoun Newspaper, for covering our many matches throughout the Carrigdhoun Division and County

Courcey Rovers GAA Club
 Official Website  |
Created by D.Corcoran


















South East Final
Courcey Rovers 1-11 V 3-10 Kinsale

Sunday 15th September @ Brinny @3:45

Kinsale are once again back as the kingpins of Carrigdhoun football, thanks
to the fantastic scoring feat of former Laune Rangers man, Gerard Murphy,
who notched 2-8 of his side's total, and in the process was crowned 'man of
the match', following a most entertaining and sporting South East junior A
Standard Life football championship final which was played at the splendid
Valley Rovers venue at Brinny on Sunday last, before a big attendance and in
beautiful, but breezy weather conditions.
Prior to the game, a minute's silence was observed as a mark of respect for
the victims of the USA tragedy in New York and Washington. Last year,
Courcey Rovers deservedly wrested the title from their near-neighbours, but
on Sunday last the shoe was on the other foot, as the men from Kinsale put
paid to Courceys hopes of back-to-back titles and another notable double of
hurling and football crowns in the same year - a feat which they completed
in 1997.
This was an enthralling tussle throughout and once again proved that
champions die hard, as Courceys, with the aid of the diagonal breeze, led by
0-6, before Kinsale opened their account in the 23rd minute, and with the
Rovers most economical in their shooting, notching but one wide to Kinsale's
nine, they went in at the break leading by 0-7 to 0-2. And as one Courcey
mentor mentioned to us at the break, "I doubt if it is enough of a lead," no
doubt pondering not only on his opponents' wastage but also on their
excellent outfield play and approach work.
During an amazing third quarter, Kinsale pegged back Courceys lead to two
points before the champions again showed their mettle, to again widen the
gap to seven points. But, back hit Kinsale to forge dramatically in front by
one point entering the last quarter and with the drama continuing to unfold,
the sides were level with nine minutes to go, before Kinsale and the
Kerryman finally killed off Courceys courageous challenge.
Within seconds of the throw-in, midfielders Gary Moloney and Seamus Twomey
put John Murphy through for Courceys opening score, and then after their
hero-to-be, Gerard Murphy, had kicked a close-in free off the hands wide,
his corner forward colleague, Gavin Farrissey, was to do likewise following
some excellent approach work, before Declan Murray kicked his side's only
wide of the half, also from a 13m free, before full forward Vincent Hurley
pointed Courceys second in the seventh minute.
With the Courceys half back line of the Hayes brothers and Denis Twomey
rock-solid and Gary Moloney and Seamus Twomey more than a match for the
Kinsale pairing of William Cummins and Gerard Condon, we saw the holders
surge further ahead, with Vincent Hurley playing a man of the match role at
that stage, giving full back Linden Kiely a lively time, and with Charlie
White and, in particular captain John Murphy flying on the wings, as the
scores continued to tot up from Hurley (3) and Murphy after 16 minutes to a
total of six points.
With Kenny O'Regan now relocated to his familiar position of right wing back
from left half forward, we saw a new steadiness in the Kinsale defence, as
centre back Ricky O'Hanlon and centre forward Conor O'Brien combined for
Gerard Murphy to loft over Kinsale's opening score in the 23rd minute. Gavin
Farrissey and Fergal O'Hanlon soon got a new lease of life, but despite
Kinsale's freshly found football, they just could not find the target, with
the awkward breeze no doubt having some effect.
Hurley still threatened up front and in the 27th minute he converted another
free for a foul on himself, before Murphy's beautifully angled free from 30m
on the left wing sailed over, to leave the score at the break at 0-7 to 0-2.
Another Murphy miss from a 35m free in front of the posts was more than made
up for, when the Kinsale man returned the kick-out between the posts to
signal the new champions comeback, as Kenny O'Regan came forward to point
following good work by impressive sub Noel O'Sullivan and Paul Hurley, and
by the 34th minute the Courcey lead had been whittled down to a two point
margin, as O'Regan, Conor O'Brien and Gavin Farrissey combined for Gerard
Murphy to finish with finesse.
Courceys soon regained territorial advantage and, working the ball well
against the breeze, thanks to the combined play of Declan Murray and Charlie
White, and when the latter was fouled, the very reliable Vincent Hurley's
free from close-in rebounded off the upright and eventually wide, but from
the resultant kick out, Hurley made amends when he gained possession to cut
through and to send a powerful drive to the back of the net, and then when
David Hayes, following good outfield pressure by Seamus Twomey and Declan
Murray who gained possession from an excellent delivery by John Murphy, had
added a brace, we saw Courceys back again in the driving seat with a 1-9 to
0-5 lead after 42 minutes
Surely now, Kinsale had a mountain to climb if they were to scale the
heights of success. Within three minutes, they had taken those tentative
steps with Murphy the leader, when firstly Ricky O'Hanlon and Noel
O'Sullivan set him up and then a great delivery by William Cummins was
gathered and delivered for his second point, before Conor O'Brien, playing a
leading role on the 40, combined with Farrissey for Murphy to finish to the
net, to leave just two points between the sides again at the 45th minute,
1-9 to 1-7.
With the crowd now enjoying the unfolding drama and excellent football
between two very sporting sides, a further act or two was to be played by
the 47th minute when a long delivery by centre back O'Hanlon landed to
Murphy, and his swift dispatch to the equally fast-thinking Conor O'Brien
saw the Kinsale man give 'keeper Anto Hegarty no chance, as the men from the
gourmet town tasted the lead, 2-7 to 1-9, for the first time in this most
savouring encounter.
Could it be Kinsale's day, as they once again returned to some wayward
shooting - with three bad wides on the trot - before the Kinsale 'keeper,
John O'Connell, was to save on the line from David Hayes, before Charlie
White levelled the match in the 51st minute, following good play by the
Courceys excellent wing back Brian Hayes and Declan Murray.
But within a minute Murphy again had his side in front, before Courceys too
missed a good chance, but there was to be no denying Kinsale, and with
Linden Kiely and Michael O'Sullivan strong in defence and allied to the
hard-grafting of Paul Hurley back in defence in the 25th minute, whose long
delivery made the free for Murphy to convert, and the lively Gavin Farrissey
added a very good score, it stretched Kinsale's lead to 2-10 to 1-10 with
three minutes remaining.
From the kick-out, Courceys came in pursuit to earn a close-in free which
Vincent Hurley tapped over, but from the resultant kick-out, William Cummins
made a great catch in the middle of the field, before parting to Conor
O'Brien who in turn completed a great move, when he laid off for the
unmarked Murphy who coolly and calmly slotted the ball to the net and that
was that.
Following the game, Mr. John Twomey, chairman of the South East Board,
presented the Keating Cup to the victorious Kinsale captain, Gearoid Condon.
The man of the match award, which has been sponsored by Paddy Fitzgerald of
Fitzgerald Insurances, Kinsale, since 1978, was presented to the man of the
match, Gerard Murphy, by Pádraig Fitzgerald, in the absence of his father,
to whom best wishes are extended following a recent illness.
Scorers - Kinsale-G. Murphy 2-8, 0-2 frees, C. O'Brien 1-0, K. O'Regan and G.Farrissey 0-1 each. 
Courcey Rovers:
V. Hurley 1-6, 0-3 frees, J. Murphy 0-2,
D. Hayes, D. Murray and C. White 0-1 each.
Kinsale: J. O'Connell, M. O'Sullivan, L. Kiely, D. Barrett, C. Quigley, R.
O'Hanlon, J. Keohane, W. Cummins, G. Condon, P. Hurley, C. O'Brien, G.
Farrissey, F. O'Hanlon, G. Murphy.
Sub, N. O'Sullivan for C. Quigley.
Courcey Rovers: A. Hegarty, N. Murray, Seán Hayes, L. Twomey, Seamus Hayes, D. Twomey, B. Hayes (CP), G. Moloney, S. Twomey, C. White, B. Hayes (KK), J.Murphy, D. Murray, V. Hurley, D. Hayes. 
B. Downing for L. Twomey, M.O'Donovan for G. Moloney.
Referee, G. Harrington, Carrigaline.

Semi Final South East Championship
CourceyRovers 4-8 V 1-3 Ballinhassig
Tuesday 14th August @Belgooly

(Report is coming)

Quarter Final South East Championship
Courcey Rovers 1-14 V 2-5 Ballymartle 
Sunday 22nd July
Courceys regroup to win thriller
(Southern Star)

In essence, you could have called this the proverbial game of two halves.
For thirty minutes of this hugely entertaining South East Junior A football championship quarter-final, the spectre of the remaining stages being played without the reigning champions looked very real as Courceys headed to the dressingroom at the break five points in arrears and facing - what seemed then - an impossible task.
Already, they were subjected to a severe beating in almost every sector
against a side playing above themselves but managing to knit some neat
passages of football together, led superbly by John Kelly at centre back and
by the scoring-exploits of Ger Cummins at full forward. An upset looked very much on the cards but Courceys regrouped at the break and, whatever words of encouragement were dished out, they certainly worked the oracle as a Seán Hayes-inspired team totally outplayed their opponents to run out convincing winners.
Hayes started at full back but his move to midfield made an immediate
impact and, in a second half where their half-back line of Seamus Hayes,
Denis Twomey and Brian Hayes was hugely influential, the scores came thick and fast where, in the forwards the movement was swift and the finishing first-class.
Courceys' point-taking oozed class and their sole goal finished with aplomb by David Hayes, came off the back of a similarly quick-thinking,
quick-moving passing game. It may have taken the champions half and hour to begin to properly manoeuvre, but Ballymartle were full value for their interval lead. Their brand of direct football worked a treat and had the Courceys defence in a severe quandary. Keith Coleman never gave dangerman Vincent Hurley a look-in, John Kelly anchored a strong half-back line, Cathal O'Connell and Seamus O'Mahony ruled midfield while Paul Coughlan, Patrick O'Dwyer and Ger Cummins were causing endless problems up-front. 
Declan Murray opened the scoring for Courceys after a minute but with Fergal Murphy too impressing for the Riverstick side, Grant O'Brien levelled with a twenty minute free. But it was in the sixth minute when Ballymartle's dominance really took hold. A long ball by Ian Coughlan from the centre of the field deceived the Courceys full back line and the huge hop of the ball was gathered by Kieran Lordan who finished to the net despite the pressure of advancing keeper Michael Walsh.
Courceys' immediate reply was a point from David Hayes but they never
envisaged what was about to transpire when Seamus O' Connell latched onto a long line ball by Ger Cummins and punched it to the net. Ballymartle's game was now in the ascendancy and Cummins followed up with two superlative efforts to push his side 2-3 to 0-2 ahead by the 17th minute. A shock result, at this early stage, looked very likely, but Courceys kept in touch - Charlie White pointing after some good approach work by the transplanted Sean Hayes and David Hayes. And John Murphy came close to narrowing the gap even further scything the Ballymartle defence but his goal-bound shot tailed right and wide. It was a let-off for Ballymartle who kept piling on the pressure and the scores - the latest again from Cummins - widened the gap to seven points.
But credit must go to Courceys for never panicking when up against it and
for remaining calm under the severest of pressure. Their comeback had begun with two late points before the break from Seamus Twomey and Seamus Hayes to leave the score at 2-4 to 0-5.
Courceys began the second half in a rampant mood, and though missing two early chances, Sean Hayes pointed in the 2nd minute. Brian Hayes added another to bring the deficit down to a goal and as their game took shape - dominating now in all areas- the points flowed and by the 40th minute Charlie White had levelled the game. Ballymartle's attacks were few and any half chanced were well defended by a solid Courceys rearguard and some negligent shooting by Ballymartle who were struggling to contain all this pressure . Ballymartle's only point of the half came from a Cummins free in the 55th minute to narrow the gap to two points 0-13 to 2-5, but Courceys finished with a flourish, John Murphy sending over a huge point from way out on the right wing and then that goal - started by the magnificent Sean Hayes at midfield and finished with pure class by David Hayes.
Scorers - Courcey Rovers: D, Hayes 1-1, C. White 0-3, D. Murray, V. Hurley, 0-1, free, B. Hayes 0-2 each, Seamus Hayes, Sean Hayes and J. Murphy 0-1 each. 
Ballymartle: G. Cummins 0-4, 0-1 free, K. Lordan and S. O' Connell 1-0
each, G. O'Brien 0-1, free.
Courcey Rovers: M. Walsh; N. Murray, S. Hayes, L. Twomey; S. Hayes, D.
Twomey, B. Hayes; S. Twomey, G. Maloney; J. Murphy, D. Murray, C. White; D. Hayes, V. Hurley, B. Hayes.
Ballymartle: D. Coleman; R. O' Brien, K. Coleman, I. Coughlan; F. Murphy, J. Kelly, B. McCarthy; C. O' Connell, S. O'Mahony; S. O'Connell, P. Coughlan, P. O'Dwyer; K. Lordan, G. Cummins, G. O'Brien. Subs, J. Hartnett for C. O' Connell. Michael Tubber for G. O'Brien, both 44th min.
Referee, P. Moran, Carrigaline.

Courcey Rovers GAA Club
 Official Website  |
Created by D.Corcoran














1st Round South East Championship 
Courcey Rovers V Kinsale
Tuesday 28th August @ Brinny @7:00







Courcey Rovers GAA Club
 Official Website  |
Created by D.Corcoran















Quarter Final South East Championship
Courcey Rovers V Ballygarvan







Courcey Rovers GAA Club
 Official Website  |
Created by D.Corcoran














Cork County Junior A Hurling Final
Courcey Rovers 3-9 V 3-7 Chareville
Pairc Ui Chaoimh
Sunday 11th November 2001

Courcey Rovers must have feared that they were about to re-live the
nightmares of '97 and '99 as this marvellous TSB county junior hurling final
clash with Charleville drew to a close at Páirc Uí Chaoimh last Sunday.

Clinging to a two point lead, the South-East side found themselves fighting
a rearguard action as Charleville went all out in search of the
match-winning goal, but the heroics of Anto Hegarty between the sticks meant
that there was to be no repeat of the single point defeats endured by
Courceys at the hands of Castlelyons and Bandon in their previous two
appearances in the decider.

Hegarty's marvellous save from Charleville midfielder Brian Foley with
little over three minutes of normal time remaining effectively sealed
victory for Courceys, and, in addition to an almost equally superb stop from
full forward Mervyn Gammell some six minutes earlier, it made him an
automatic choice for the man-of-the-match accolade.

In light of their traumatic experiences in recent seasons, nobody could
begrudge Courceys their overdue hour of glory, and, while Charleville went
agonisingly close to pulling the game out of the fire, one would have to say
that, on the overall run of the play, the laurels rested where they belonged
at the finish.

The fact is that Courceys, recovering from a potentially disastrous start
which saw them concede two goals and fall eight points adrift inside 13
minutes, looked the more convincing side for most of the hour, and they
weren't unduly flattered after a cracking goal by John Murphy propelled them
into a 3-8 to 2-6 lead midway through the second-half.

It seemed as if Courceys were ready to cruise home at that stage, but the
picture changed after Charleville's John Quinlan rattled the net at the
other end two minutes later to prompt a renewed effort by the North-Cork
kingpins, and set the scene for a nail-biting conclusion to a final that, in
terms of, excitement, skill and sheer commitment, could be favourably
compared with any seen at this level in the past.

That the fancied Courcey men were under enormous pressure going into
the match is beyond dispute, and it probably accounts in part for their
jittery play during the opening exchanges.

At the same time, there was much to admire about the quality of
Charleville's hurling after they were boosted by a fortuitous goal in the
sixth minute when a high shot from John Quinlan struck the upright, and
corner-forward John Collins was perfectly positioned to bat home the

Within seconds, Quinlan availed of slack defending to gather a through ball
from centre-forward Martin Aherne and steer it past the helpless Anto
Hegarty from close range, leaving Courceys, enjoying whatever advantage
there was from a slight wind, with a hill to climb.

Although Niall Murphy, placed by full forward Brian Hayes, got Courceys off
the mark with a good point a minute later, Charleville, with their
confidence soaring, continued to dictate matters, adding points per Martin
Aherne and John Quinlan to lead deservedly by 2-3 to 0-1 after 13 minutes.

Quinlan and full forward Mervyn Gammell looked capable of wreaking havoc
against a most uncertain Courceys' last line of defence early on when Martin
Aherne, who had a hand in the lead-up to both Charleville goals, likewise
made a big impact on the '40.

In addition, Brian Foley hurled very strongly at midfield, and Charleville
were quick to establish control too in the half back line where Claude Gough
was particularly prominent on the left wing.

In a bid to ease their problems in the full back line, Courceys moved John
O'Donoghue on to John Quinlan in a switch with Brian Hayes, who immediately
settled down to play a fine game in the left corner.

It was primarily due to improved play by Timmy Lordan at centre back,
however, that Courceys managed to arrest their slide as he gradually got the
better of Martin Aherne, reducing the supply of ball to Charleville's inside
line of attack significantly in the process.

David Murphy, who prevented highly-rated wing forward Tomas Fitzgibbon from
making a worthwhile impact, and Vincent Hurley both showed up well on the
flanks from the outset, and they maintained their good form as Courceys
began to dominate in the half back line entering the second quarter, with
the result that Charleville had to wait all 15 minutes for their next score.

The decision to bring Niall Murphy from the left corner to right half
forward yielded rich dividends too for Courceys as he went on to prove quite
a handful for Charleville's Claude Gough while Brian Hayes also benefited on
going from full forward to the left corner.

The result of it all was that Courceys began to warm to their task, and it
was obvious that a recovery was under way after Niall Murphy and Brian Hayes
landed points in quick succession, and good work by Hayes allowed John
Murphy to deliver a precision cross from the left to Michael O'Donovan, who
shrugged off the attentions of his marker to find the net in the 18th.

Niall Murphy, Brian Hayes and John Murphy were all motoring well up front at
that stage, and the indications were that Courceys would be capable of
erasing the deficit before half-time.

With Charleville ’keeper, Martin O'Keeffe, proving equal to a shot from
centre forward Denis Twomey, however, and Niall Murphy, who should perhaps
have taken his point, having an effort for goal from a close-in free saved,
Courceys didn't raise another flag until the 25th. minute when Twomey placed
wing-forward Seamus Hayes for a point.

And Charleville managed to lift the siege as the first-half drew to a close,
with ever-menacing full forward Mervyn Gammell winning a free which produced
a point from John Quinlan, and tacking on a fine score from play himself to
leave Courceys trailing by 2-5 to 1-4 at the break.

But Courceys were very quickly into their stride on the resumption, with
Brian Hayes, a constant threat at right corner forward, flashing over a
score within seconds, and Seamus Hayes winning possession from the puck-out
to launch an attack which saw Brian Hayes set John Murphy up for another

Mervyn Gammell, now faced by substitute Gary Moloney, replied with a point
for Charleville in the 33rd. minute, but the North-Cork men were forced to
endure another lengthy barren spell after that, and, in truth, Courceys
appeared to hold most of the aces in the third-quarter.

With Seamus Hayes making his presence felt on moving out from wing forward
for the second-half, Courceys enjoyed a definite edge at midfield where the
tenacious Seamus Twomey never allowed Alan O'Connor, from whom Charleville
were expecting so much, to get into the game.

David Murphy, Timmy Lordan and Vincent Hurley continued to keep their end up
well in the half-back line, and Niall Murphy, John Murphy and especially
Brian Hayes remained major thorns in an overworked Charleville rearguard.

In the circumstances, it was no great surprise when Courceys finally managed
to hit the front, 2-7 to 2-6, thanks to goal-poacher supreme Michael
O'Donovan, who took his chance with style following a clearance by David
Murphy, unquestionably one of the most consistent performers on view over
the hour, in the 38th. minute.

A Niall Murphy point from a free soon followed, and the die appeared to be
well and truly cast for Charleville after another delivery by David Murphy
led to the opening for the best goal of the match scored by John Murphy at
the three-quarter stage.

They were thrown a lifeline two minutes later, however, by John Quinlan's
superb strike which had the twin effect of revitalising Charleville and
unsettling Courceys, and it was heartstopping stuff all the way to the

Mervyn Gammell carried the main threat up front in the closing stages for
Charleville, who, after Anto Hegarty foiled Gammell with a great save at the
expense of a '65 which John Quinlan converted, should have drawn level when
Quinlan failed to find the target from an easy free in the 52nd. minute.

Substitute John Murphy, fed by his namesake, pushed Courceys two points up
approaching the last five minutes, and then Anto Hegarty became the toast of
Courcey's when keeping out a rasper from Brian Foley.

While Courceys came under a share of pressure after that, the steadiness of
their defence ensured that they weren't going to be denied an historic
triumph, and indeed they had a golden chance to wrap things up when
substitute John Murphy fumbled possession with a clear path to goal before
excellent referee Cathal McAlister brought the curtain on an absolutely
enthralling encounter.

Scorers – Courcey Rovers: M. O'Donovan 2-0, J. Murphy 1-1) N. Murphy 0-4,
0-2 frees, B. Hayes 0-2, S. Hayes and J. Murphy 0-1 each. Charleville: J.
Quinlan 2-4, 0-3 frees, J. Collins 1-0, M. Gammell 0-2, M. Aherne 0-1.

Courcey Rovers: A. Hegarty, B. Hayes, N. O'Donoghue, J. O'Donoghue, D.
Murphy, T. Lordan, V. Hurley, C. White, S. Twomey, S. Hayes, D. Twomey, J.
Murphy, M. O'Donovan, B. Hayes, N. Murphy. Subs, D. Hayes for White, G.
Moloney for N. O'Donoghue, J. Murphy for D. Twomey.

Charleville: M. O'Keeffe, T. McAuliffe, D. Fitzgerald, P.J. Copse, N.
O'Keeffe, J. O'Donnell, C. Gough, B. Foley, A. O'Connor, P. Gammell, M.
Aherne, T. Fitzgibbon, J. Collins, M. Gammell, J. Quinlan. Sub, S. McSweeney
for Collins.

Referee, C. McAlister, Midleton.

Cork County Junior A Semi Final
Courcey Rovers 1-9 V 0-8 Diarmuid O'Mahuna's
Riverstick Sunday 21st 3:45pm

Report is coming

Cork County Junior A Hurling Quarter Final
Courcey Rovers 6-17 V 2-7 Grenagh
Pairc Ui Chaoimh 30th September 2:00pm 

Runners-up to Castlelyons in '97, Courcey Rovers provided ample evidence that they have the potential to go one better when they thrashed Grenagh in last Sunday's TSB county junior hurling championship quarter-final at Páirc Uí Chaoimh.
It was a pillar-to-post win by the South-East kingpins, but, to be fair, Grenagh battled hard in the first-half, and would probably have made a much better game of it had the fates not frowned on them shortly before the interval.
With the score at 3-9 to 2-5 in Courcey's favour, Grenagh squandered a golden opportunity when centre-forward Seamus Coleman booted the ball outside the posts with a goal at his mercy in stoppage time.
[Picture::Grenagh’s wing forward Diarmuid Dorgan breaks through Courcey Rovers’ Charlie White and John Murphy during the county junior hurling championship game at Pairc Uí Chaoimh on Sunday last. ]
Following the puck-out, Courceys' centre-forward Denis Twomey picked up possession to pump a speculative delivery goalwards which Grenagh's otherwise flawless netminder, Martin Barry, allowed to slip from his grasp and trickle over the line.
That brace of body-blows meant that Grenagh, instead of going in at the break just four points adrift, found themselves ten in arrears, 4-9 to 2-5.
And before they could renew their challenge on the resumption, Courceys' corner forward Michael O'Donovan blasted in a 32nd. minute goal to finish the game as a contest.
O'Donovan, a Cork minor panelist this year, had proved a major thorn in the Grenagh defence from the outset, bagging a goal, following great work by Denis Twomey, which propelled Courcey's into a 1-4 to 0-1 lead after 8 minutes.
Twomey, John Murphy, Seamus Hayes and Brian Hayes were others to show up well in attack early on, and, with David Murphy, Vincent Hurley and Gary Moloney quick to establish control in the half-back line, Courceys appeared to hold most of the aces.
The stylish Tom Kenny kept the Grenagh flag flying however, at midfield, where Seamus Twomey achieved most for Courceys, and improved play from Mark Kenny at centre-back, and Diarmuid Dorgan and Seamus Coleman in the half forward line, enabled the Mid-Cork men to arrest their slide towards the end of the opening quarter.
After Coleman made the opening for a well-taken goal by corner forward, Dan O'Riordan, in the 11th. minute, the gap was down to three points, 1-5 to 1-2, but the threat from Michael O'Donovan surfaced again two minutes later when he presented Brian Hayes with a gift chance which the Courcey's full forward duly made the most of.
O'Donovan also did the spadework for Courceys' fourth goal, scored by Seamus Hayes, which made it 3-8 to 1-5 after 29 minutes, and when centre back Vincent Hurley quickly added a point from a long-range free, Grenagh appeared to be in dire trouble.
Their hopes were rekindled, however, when Tom Kenny made an inspirational run from midfield before parting to full-forward, John Russell, whose rasping drive from close-range was kept out by Courceys' 'keeper, Anto Hegarty, and Dan O'Riordan was on hand to knock the rebound home.
But then came the twin set-backs which did so much to undermine Grenagh's prospects before half-time, and they fell apart completely after the irrepressible Michael O'Donovan latched on to a long ball from midfielder Charlie White to rifle in goal No. 5 for Courceys within two minutes of the restart.
It was plain sailing after that for the winners, and picking off the points virtually at will, they had put 5-17 on the board before Seamus Coleman broke Grenagh's second-half duck in the 56th. minute.
John Russell pulled another point back for Grenagh, but Courceys had the last word when John Murphy rattled the net to complete the rout in the dying seconds.

Courcey Rovers: M. O'Donovan 2-3, 0-1 free, B. Hayes and J. Murphy 1-4 each, D. Twomey 1-1, S. Hayes 1-0, N. Murphy 0-3 frees, V. Hurley, free, and D. Murphy 0-1 each. 
D. O'Riordan 2-0, Diarmuid Dorgan 0-3, 0-2 frees, S. Coleman 0-2, T. Kenny and John Russell 0-1 each.

Courcey Rovers: A. Hegarty, B. Hayes, N. O'Donoghue, J. O'Donoghue, D. Murphy, V. Hurley, G. Maloney, C. White, S. Kearney, J. Murphy, D. Twomey, S. Hayes, M. O'Donovan, B. Hayes, N. Murphy. Subs, B. Downing for N. O'Donoghue, T. Lordan for Maloney, L. Twomey for Kearney, D. Hayes for N. Murphy.

Grenagh: M. Barry, E. Ryan, A. Foley, P. Buckley, Donie Dorgan, M. Kenny, K. Kenny, T. Kenny, Jerry Russell, Diarmuid Dorgan, S. Coleman, Donal Daly, P. McDonnell, John Russell, D. O'Riordan. Subs. C. Keohane for Buckley, A. Dorgan for Daly, Dave Daly for Ryan, R. McMahon for McDonnell.
Referee. W. Horgan, Brian Dillons.

South East Final
Courcey Rovers 1-12 V 0-8 Ballinhassig

Sunday 2nd September Kinsale 3:45

A further report on this match is due

The South East junior A Barry Collins Super-Valu hurling championship final of 2001, which was played at the well-prepared Jack Barrett Park, Kinsale, on Sunday last, will be remembered for all of the wrong reasons, following the nasty scenes which developed after the final whistle, when players and supporters became embroiled with fists and hurleys, and, while it finished quickly, it no doubt left a sad memory on what should have been an enjoyable occasion. Such ugly scenes have no place in sport, but, no doubt, officialdom in the South East GAA will carry out their own investigations and will issue their findings later. 
The game itself never rose above the ordinary between two sides who have been to the forefront of South East hurling over the past ten years. It was fought out with a rare intensity, the exchanges were hard and close, as referee Sean Collins tried to keep matters calm, and as a result we saw very little open hurling, and such was the tension of the exchanges, that eventually the bubble burst after the final whistle, but, as already stated, it was no excuse for such an aftermath. 
Holders, Ballinhassig, entered the fray minus the services of their captain Brendan Lombard due to suspension and having lost the county final last year by the minimum of margins, were hoping to achieve that elusive title this season. 
But on the day, Courceys, divisional runners-up by the narrowest of margins last year, were finely tuned for Sunday's contest and while they too could point to having to line out without some key players, they more than made up for that as they showed greater bite and in their side they had the man of the match Niall Murphy who punished the Blues with his superb free-taking, notching eight points in all. 
Ballinhassig, who had their free-taker Diarmuid Duggan sent off for an off-the-ball incident after 33 minutes, can have little excuse, when one considers that they could only notch one point from play over the hour. But, no doubt, Ballinhassig, with the advantage of the fresh breeze, will look back on the opening half as being the period when they did have the chances of goals, but some poor finishing by their full forward line, allied to the tight marking of Courceys full backs and 'keeper Anto Hegarty, kept them at bay in an area where the exchanges were hard and close. With Colin Horgan and John O'Sullivan doing relatively well at midfield and wing forwards Darren Dineen and Declan O'Sullivan winning good possession on the flanks, the holders should have been in front at the end of the first quarter, but as it was the score stood at 0-4 to 0-1 in Courceys favour as the red and white brigade took all of their chances through Niall Murphy's accuracy and a Seamus Hayes effort from play, while Ballinhassig's only reward was a Diarmuid Duggan point from a free. 
Courceys maintained that three point margin throughout the second quarter thanks to the superb hurling of Vincent Hurley at centre back, Gary Moloney on the wing, while Charlie White continued to get in some good work at midfield. Up front, Denis Twomey on the 40, Brian Hayes at full forward and Michael O'Donovan, who scored a great point from an acute angle in the 26th minute, were all hurling well. After Duggan and Murphy had again traded points, Ballinhassig's Brian O'Sullivan converted a 65 on the half hour mark to make it 0-7 to 0-4. With the Blues reduced to 14 players shortly after the break, the Rovers rearguard was now ready to take on any challenge from the Blues and while new free-taker John O'Sullivan did narrow the gap to 0-7 to 0-5 after 34 minutes, the winners again pulled away with Niall Murphy's free taking yielding another three scores, as they opened up an 0-10 to 0-5 lead entering the last quarter. 
But Ballinhassig did try gamely to pull the game out of the fire and, with the O'Sullivan brothers and Colin Horgan to the fore, sub Damien McCarthy, just in, earned a free in the 45th minute, which John O'Sullivan converted and then his brother, Brian, landed a mighty free from midfield to make it 0-10 to 0-7 with ten minutes remaining. Any hopes that the holders might have harboured were quickly dashed when, following good work by the industrious Denis Twomey and reliable Vincent Hurley, we saw sub Jamie Hayes loft over a great score from the left flank and then Murphy converted for a foul on the lively Michael O'Donovan with six minutes to go, and whilst that was happening at one end, at the other end we saw Courceys full back Niall O'Donoghue red-carded for an off-the-ball incident. Courceys continued not only to contain their opponents through their wonderful back-up play which saw Samuel Hayes back in defence, Vincent Hurley and Seamus Twomey repel the Blues, and as a result, the new champions reaped their reward in the 58th minute when Seamus Hayes blocked down a Ballinhassig defender to lay on the pass for Michael O'Donovan who, from close range, billowed the net giving reliable 'keeper Martin Coleman no chance and then on there was no doubting Courceys victory. 
Following the game, Mr. John Twomey, SE Board chairman, presented the cup to the victorious Courcey Rovers captain, Denis Twomey, while Mr. Donal Coleman, sponsor, presented the man of the match award to Courceys superb free-taker Niall McCarthy. Music for the occasion was supplied by the Carrigaline Pipe Band. 
Scorers - Courcey Rovers: N. Murphy 0-9, 0-6 frees, 0-2 65s, M. O'Donovan 1-1, S. Hayes and J. Hayes 0-1 each. 
Ballinhassig: D. Duggan 0-3 frees, B. O'Sullivan 0-2, 0-1 65, 0-1 free, J. O'Sullivan 0-2 frees, D. O'Sullivan 0-1. 
Courcey Rovers: A. Hegarty, B. Hayes, , N. O'Donoghue, J. O'Donoghue, D. Murphy, V. Hurley, G. Moloney, C. White, J. Murphy, N. Murphy, D. Twomey, S. Twomey, M. O'Donovan, B. Hayes (KK), S. Hayes. Subs, J. Hayes for J. Murphy, B. Downing for D. Murphy. 
Ballinhassig: M. Coleman, J. Holland, M. Cussen, B. O'Sullivan, S. McCarthy, D. Healy, J. Mullaney, C. Horgan, J. O'Sullivan, D. Dineen, P. Lombard, D. O'Sullivan, D. Duggan, D. Lombard, D. McCarthy. Subs, Damien McCarthy for P. Lombard, S. McCarthy for Ds. McCarthy. 
Referee, S. Collins, Carrigaline.

Preview of South-East Hurling Final
IT'S the old firm of Ballinhassig and Courcey Rovers who will once again line out in the final of the South East junior 'A' Barry Collins Super Valu hurling championship at the Jack Barrett Memorial Park, Kinsale on Sunday next at 3.45 p.m. The final will be preceded by the county junior 'B' hurling qualifier at 2 p.m. between Crosshaven and Belgooly. 
Both Ballinhassig and Courcey Rovers have been the top junior clubs in Carrigdhoun throughout the '90s, with Ballinhassig being crowned on seven occasions since 1991 and Courceys the champions, on three occasions. The roll of honour reads thus: 1991, 1992, Ballinhassig; 1993, Courcey Rovers; 1994, 1995, 1996, Ballinhassig; 1997, Courcey Rovers; 1998, Ballinhassig; 1999, Courcey Rovers; 2000, Ballinhassig. 
Last year, at Camden, the Blues emerged victorious on the score 1-10 to 1-9, following a tough, close encounter, where there was little room for frills. Last year's line-outs were: 
Ballinhassig: M. Coleman, S. McCarthy, M. Cullen, B. O'Sullivan, J. Aherne, B. Lombard, D. Healy, C. Horgan, J. Mullaney, T. Coleman. 0-2; D. Dineen 0-2; J. O'Sullivan, S. McCarthy 0-2; D. Lombard 1-0; D. Duggan 0-4. Subs. D. McCarthy for S. McCarthy; M. Ahern for D. Lombard; P. Lombard for C. Horgan. 
Courcey Rovers: S. Hurley, B. Hayes (C.P.), G. Moloney, J. O'Donoghue, T. Lordan, V. O'Donovan, S. Hayes 0-2; S. Twomey 0-1; D. Hayes, J. Jnr. Murphy, D. Twomey, B. Hayes (K.K.) 0-2; J. Murphy, C. O'Regan, D. Twomey 0-2. Subs. V. Hurley for C. O'Regan; P. O'Neill for D. Twomey; M. O'Donovan for B. Hayes (K.K.); J. Hayes, 1-2, for J. Murphy. 
This season, Ballinhassig, the holders, have had two games against Valley Rovers with the Rovers having re-emerged via the back door, following a victory over Kinsale. Both games were of little value to the Blues, as they ran out relatively easy winners on both occasions - the second on Sunday last on a score of 1-17 to 1-2, with Declan O'Sullivan, 0-5, Diarmuid Duggan 0-7 and the experienced Damien McCarthy 1-0, the main providers. 
Courceys path to the final was via Carrigaline and Ballygarvan, the latter game on Sunday last on a huge victory margin of 4-17 to 1-6. here Niall Murphy contributed a massive total of 2-11 with Seamus Hayes and Michael O'Donovan the other goal poachers. According to selector Chris Corcoran, Courceys will enter the fray on Sunday as under dogs and he maintains that they will really have to up their game in the final if they are to have any chance of regaining the title. We will, he declared, be lining out without six of last year's side, keeper Seamus Hurley, injured; David Hayes, on holidays; Timmy Lordan, student work in U.S.A. while John Jnr. Murphy, Vincent O'Donovan are absent for various reasons. However, despite all of this, coach Seanie O'Brien, together with the other selectors, John O'Brien and Kevin Hannon, having worked hard to blend their side for the final, and will welcome back Niall Murphy, just recovered from injury and who also missed the 2000 final (injured) together with the experienced Brian Downing and Charlie White and Anto Hegarty, who has taken over the goalkeeping duties. Denis Twomey will captain the side, while Cork intermediate players, Seamus Hayes and Niall Murphy, the O'Donoghue brothers, Barry McCarthy, Vincent Hurley, Jamie Hayes and Brian Hayes (C.P.) will form the nucleus of Courceys championship bid. 
Ballinhassig, the form team to retain their title, have been going very well in training and practice games but the news from their camp, according to Martin Coleman, is rather grim, with full back Martin Cussen definitely out through injury, sustained in a recent football game, and with centre half back and Cork U 21 player, Brendan Lombard, awaiting his fate from officialdom regarding his suspension - he watched last Sunday's game from the bank - having had a personal hearing on Monday night last with the South East Board, it could mean that the Ballinhassig backroom team of Martin Coleman, Patsy Galvin, Sean Quinlan, Pat Desmond and Peter Brennan have to seal the spinal cord of their defence. Midfield too, will be minus James Aherne, sent off on Sunday last and while the panel has trained hard, and is in fine physical shape, under the guidance of well-known local athlete Martin McCarthy - no doubt the absence of such prominent players, could have an unsettling effect on the side. Nevertheless, Ballinhassig have some excellent hurlers throughout, with Cork minor keeper Martin Coleman in top form. Stephen McCarthy, Brian O'Sullivan and Declan Healy are solid defenders. John Mullaney is playing great hurling this season at midfield, while up front the O'Sullivans, John and possibly 17-years-old Declan, Darren Dineen, Diarmuid Duggan, Damien McCarthy and possibly Seanie McCarthy could pose problems for the Courcey defence. Missing from the attack from last year is Tadhg Coleman, who is in the USA for the summer. Despite Ballinhassig's "problems" one has to take into account that they are the form side, and at the end of what should be a very close game, our vote goes to the Blues to retain the title. Finally, the man of the match award will again be sponsored by Donal Coleman of Half-Way, Ballinhassig. 
Fixture: South East junior 'A' football at Brinny, Sunday, September 16th,
Kinsale v. Courcey Rovers (holders) at 3.45 p.m., preceded by junior 'B'
hurling championship final, Ballinhassig v. Tracton, 2 p.m.

Semi Final South East Championship
Courcey Rovers 4-17 V 1-6 Ballygarvan
Sunday 26 August Shanbally @ 7:00

Courcey Rovers eased through to the final of the South East junior A hurling
championship with an impressive performance against Ballygarvan in Shanbally
on Sunday night last. Ballygarvan did have their chances in the early stages
of the game but were not able to take advantage of them and the result was
never really in doubt from as early as the fourth minute when Niall Murphy
billowed the net from a twenty-one yard free.
Moments earlier, Murphy had opened the scoring from another placed ball and
another free soon after the goal had Courceys 1-2 to 0-0 ahead after seven
minutes of play. Joe Kennefick opened Ballygarvan's account with a free in
the eighth minute before Vincent Hurley of Courcey Rovers had the game's
first score from play in the thirteenth minute. Niall Murphy added to this
moments later with his first score from play before two frees from Joe
Kennefick left his side trailing by 0-3 to 1-4 at the end of the opening
Brian Daly had a good goal chance for Ballygarvan but his effort was well
blocked by Anto Hegarty in the Courceys goal. A Joe Kennefick free for
Ballygarvan was sandwiched by two Niall Murphy frees to leave Courceys 1-6
to 0-4 in front with half time fast approaching.
With the thirty minutes up, Courceys struck a major blow to Ballygarvan's
chances when Michael O'Donovan raced through the defence before sending the
ball to the bottom corner of the Ballygarvan net to give his side a half
time lead of 2-6 to 0-4.
Niall Murphy and Joe Kennefick exchanged frees in the opening moments of the
second half before further points from Murphy and Seamus Hayes gave Courceys
a 2-9 to 0-5 lead after ten minutes of the second half. Joe Kennefick then
gave Ballygarvan hope when he buried a twenty-one yard free, however, this
hope was short lived. In a three minute spell Niall Murphy finished the game
off when he struck 1-4.
The four points came from frees but his goal was a real gem, striking a
powerful shot to the net from twenty yards out. Courceys could afford to
take off Murphy after that and the subs that came in all staked a claim for
inclusion in the starting line up for the final next weekend.
Points from Jamie Hayes, David Murphy, two from Brian Hayes and a goal from
David Hayes gave Courceys an impressive final tally of 4-17, while another
Joe Kennefick point left Ballygarvan on 1-6. This win gives Courceys the
chance of avenging last year's final defeat by Ballinhassig when the rivals
lock horns in the final on Sunday next in Kinsale.
Courcey Rovers: A. Hegarty, B. Hayes, N. O'Donoghue, J. O'Donoghue, D.
Murphy (0-1), B. Downing, G. Maloney, L. Twomey, V. Hurley (0-1), N. Murphy
(2-11, 1-8 frees), D. Twomey, S. Twomey, M. O'Donovan (1-0), J. Murphy, S.
Hayes (0-1). Subs, C. White, B. Hayes (0-2), J. Hayes (0-1), D. Hayes (1-0).
Ballygarvan: J. O'Halloran, M. Brady, J. Spillane, E. Sheehan, G. Spillane,
A. Butler, M. Sheehan, S. O'Leary, F. Barry, A. Murphy, J. Kennefick (1-6,
all frees), L. Dillon, K. Ashman, M. O'Dowd, B. Daly. Subs: E. O'Neill, W.

Quarter Final South East Championship
Courcey Rovers 0-11 V 0-8 Carrigaline
Saturday 9th June @ Kinsale, 6:45pm

There were plenty of interested spectators in Kinsale on Friday night for
the clash of Carrigaline and Courcey Rovers in the South East Junior 'A'
hurling championship. Last year Carrigaline caused a major shock when they defeated Courceys only to lose to Shamrocks in the next round.
After that defeat, Courceys used the back door system to their advantage and progressed to another south-east final only to be defeated by Ballinhassig. 
The two sides also met recently in the final of the Millennium Cup with Courceys emerging victorious on that occasion. The crowd anticipated a classic, but unfortunately it never materialised.
Carrigaline started the brighter and could have goaled in there opening
attack when corner-forward Brendan Hogan elected to pick the ball when a ground effort may have reaped a better reward and fortunately for Courceys, nothing came of it. Carrigaline did take the lead in the second minute when Brendan O'Driscoll pointed from a difficult angle.
Minutes later it was Courceys turn to spurn a goal opportunity when Brian Downing's goal effort flashed wide. Anthony Kelly of Carrigaline and Brian Hayes of Courceys then exchanged points before John Downing levelled up the game with a point in the thirteenth minute. 
Anthony Kelly put Carrigaline back in the lead in the fifteenth minute when he pointed a free before Brendan O'Driscoll restored their two point advantage with another placed ball minutes after. Nicholas Murphy was hurling well for Carrigaline at centrefield but it was Courceys who were on top in most sectors at this stage but, their accuracy in front of the posts left a lot to be desired. Eventually they began to hit the target and two quick points from Niall Murphy and Brian Hayes left the sides level with two minutes left in the half. Ger Cooney of Carrigaline and David Murphy of Courceys then exchanged scores before another free from Brendan O'Driscoll left Carrigaline leading by 0-6 to 0-5 at the short whistle. Courceys levelled up the game for the fourth time in the second minute of second half through a Liam Twomey point. 
Philip Ahern then restored Carrigaline's slender advantage with a long-range point in the ninth minute. Both sides spurned some good opportunities from open play but in Niall Murphy Courceys had a match winner as he was unerring from placed balls. He levelled the game at 0-7 each in the tenth minute of the half and gave his side the lead for the first time in the game with another free a minute later. It was a lead that they would never lose. Two more frees from Murphy left Courceys three points to the good with five minutes remaining. Nicholas Murphy narrowed the margin with a point from play but Niall Murphy restored Courceys three-point advantage with another free in the twenty-eighth minute. 
In the concluding stages Carrigaline pushed hard for the goal which would have forced a replay but they couldn't find a way through a solid Courceys defence and it was Courceys who emerged victorious by 0-11 to 0-8. However, all is not lost for Carrigaline and they will get a second bite of the cherry in the losers group. Interestingly, the way the draw works out means that there is a good chance of these two sides meeting again at the semi-final stage. There are no doubts that that would be a much more exciting encounter.

Courcey Rovers: S. Hurley, B. Hayes, N. O'Donoghue, G. Maloney, D. Murphy (0-1), V. Hurley, S. Hayes, C. White, L. Twomey (0-1), J. Murphy, D. Twomey, B. Hayes (0-2), M. O'Donovan, B. Downing (0-1), N. Murphy (0-6, all frees). 
Subs: D. Hayes J. Hayes, 
D. Hennessy, F. Barry, P. O'Driscoll, L. Guinane, P. Ahern, J.
Murphy, G. Dillon, N. Murphy (0-1), A. Kelly (0-2, frees), K. O'Driscoll, G.
Cooney (0-1), D. Buckley, B. O'Driscoll (0-3, 2 frees), D. Fleming, B.


Courcey Rovers GAA Club
 Official Website  |
Created by D.Corcoran





















Semi Final S.East Championship
Courcey Rovers V Ballinhassig
Wednesday 22 September @ Brinny @ 7:00

Report coming

Quarter Final S.East Championship
Courcey Rovers V Crosshaven
Sunday 29 July@ Kinsale, 6:00pm



Courcey Rovers GAA Club
 Official Website  |
Created by D.Corcoran














Semi Final South East Championship
Courcey Rovers V Ballinhassig
Wednesday 25th July@ Innishannion :7:30pm

[Report on the way]

Quarter Final South East Championship
  Courcey Rovers 2-15 V  1-9 Valley Rovers
Friday 22nd June @ Riverstick, 8pm

Courceys came out the better in this local derby after a great start
 Full report on the way.




Courcey Rovers GAA Club
 Official Website  |
Created by D.Corcoran











Semi Final County Championship
Date, venue and opponents not known, 
check back later in the week for updates

Cork County Quarter Final
Courcey Rovers 3-8 V 1-13 Cobh

A hat-trick of goals by Courcey Rovers' Michael O'Donovan proved to be the
vital factor in his side's narrow but deserved victory over Cobh in the
first round of the Cork County minor 'B' hurling championship at Shanbally
on Saturday last.
Slow to start, the South East champions were 1-3 to 0-1 in arrears after
tight minutes when Cobh's top scorer, Ger Meaney's 55m free from the left
wing completely deceived the Courcey keeper, David Hurley, in the seventh
Cobh did have the opening point per Meaney in the second minute but that was
quickly nullified by a long-range free from David Murphy and when Meaney,
with a brace and Brian Aherne tacked on the scores, Courceys appeared to be
in trouble entering the second quarter, having been very unlucky for two
goals, when Killian Moloney's goal-bound shot was superbly saved by keeper
Pa Higgins and Jason Minihane was to see his shot rebound off the post,
while at the other end, Courceys keeper brought a great double save from
Meaney - firstly from a 30m free and again from the return shot from play.
Courceys, with David and Phil Murphy getting to grips in their respective
positions and with full backs Brendan Downing, Kevin Deely and Seamus
O'Callaghan tightening up - the South East lads laid siege, thanks to the
effective hurling of Terence Collins and Killian Moloney and when the latter
was fouled, following a great solo run, Michael O'Donovan blasted the 25m
free to the roof of the net and he then added a point before Philip Murphy
lofted a great score from the right flank to make it 1-5 to 1-3 after 24
Three minutes later Courceys claimed the lead for the first time when
Michael O'Donovan gathered a Deely clearance around midfield before soloing
through for his second goal, but Cobh came back before the break to claim
parity, 2-3 to 1-6 from a Meaney close-in free.
The third quarter was a very closely contested period of a hugely
entertaining game as Cobh's Ger Meaney converted three frees while Michael
O'Donovan, Stephen McCarthy and Killian Moloney claimed their respective
scores from play.
It was still evens as Meaney, from an acute angle and O'Donovan exchanged
scores before Cobh claimed the initiative to move into a two points lead per
substitute Keelan Garrett and a Meaney 65 with eight minutes to go, but then
in the 53rd minute, from a free 35m out on the left wing, following good
work by Alan O'Mahony and Jason Minihane, Michael O'Donovan completed his
hat-trick when his powerful drive went in off the keeper's hurley to regain
the lead for his side, 3-7 to 1-12 and directly from puck-out the East Cork
lads won a free which Ger Meaney duly tapped over and again from the
puck-out Courceys David Murphy gained possession and making ground with a
strong solo run, fired over what was to be the winning point, with five
minutes remaining.
In a welter of excitement over the next seven minutes, Cobh came in chase of
that elusive equaliser, but just could not penetrate a very solid Rovers
defence, which held on for a close but deserved victory, despite the best
efforts of Trevor Byrne, Shane Donnachie, Ger Meaney and Mike Keating.
Scorers: Courcey Rovers: M. O'Donovan 3-3; D. Murphy 0-2; P. Murphy, S.
McCarthy and C. Moloney 0-1 each. Cobh: G. Meaney 1-11; B. Aherne and K.
Garrett 0-1 each.
Courcey Rovers: D. Hurley, B. Downing, K. Deely, S. O'Callaghan, K.
Coughlan, D. Murphy, J. White, P. Murphy, A. O'Mahony, S. McCarthy, T.
Collins, J. Duggan, M. O'Donovan, J. Minihane, K. Moloney.
Cobh: P. Higgins, S. Kenneally, L. Greaney, M. O'Connell, E. Wilson, T.
Byrne, S. Ryan, S. Donnachie, G. Murphy, G. Meaney, M. Keating, M. Harty, P.
Kennedy, B. Aherne, A. Doyle. Subs. S. Houlihan for A. Doyle; K. Garrett for
P. Kennedy; C. Meehan for T. Byrne; T. Byrne for C. Meaney.
Referee G. Buckley, St. Michael's.

Final South East Championship
Courcey Rovers 3-13 V 0-7 Kinsale
Saturday 2 August

John Twomey, Chairman, South East GAA Board, seen presenting the Walsh
Pharmacy minor 'B' hurling trophy to Courcey Rovers captain, Michael
O'Donovan after his side had defeated Kinsale in the final in Riverstick

Courceys claimed the South East Minor 'B' hurling title when they defeated
Kinsale in Riverstick last Saturday night. There wasn't much between the
teams in the opening period and it was only in the second half that the
winners pulled away.
Michael O'Donovan opened the scoring for Courceys with a point from play in the first minute and he quickly added to it with a free moments later. Angus Bolster cancelled these out with two frees for his side to leave the sides level at 0-2 each after ten minutes. Kinsale were then awarded a penalty when Dara Hurley was hauled to the ground in the thirteenth minute. Once again, Angus Bolster stepped up but his effort was just too high and Kinsale had to be content with a point. Alan O'Mahony then pointed for Courceys to leave the sides level at the end of the opening quarter. Michael O'Donovan restored his side's advantage with a wonderful individual point before Martin O'Leary levelled up proceedings after an excellent run out of defence by corner-back Richard O'Sullivan.
Courceys then struck a killer blow in the twenty-third minute when Terence Collins finished to the corner of the net after a good run. This was quickly followed by an Alan O'Mahony free to leave Courceys 1-5 to 0-4 to the good coming up to the break. Angus Bolster managed to add another point for Kinsale before the short whistle to make it 1-5 to 0-5.
Courceys finished the game off with a devastating opening fifteen minutes to the second half. Two points from Michael O'Donovan and one from Alan
O'Mahony were quickly followed by an O'Donovan goal. John Duggan then added another point before Stephen McCarthy struck for their third goal to leave the score at 3-9 to 0-5 with fifteen minutes to go.
Courceys managed to add four more points, two from O'Donovan and one each from O'Mahony and Terence Collins, while Kinsale registered two points from Joseph O'Callaghan and Paul Hurley to leave the final score at 3-13 to 0-7. 
Courceys captain Michael O'Donovan collected the trophy on behalf of his
side after the game and they now look forward to the county.

-Courcey Rovers: D. Hurley, A. O'Mahony (0-5, 0-1 free), B. Downing, S.
O'Callaghan, D. Murphy, K. Deeley, J. White, P. Murphy, K. Coughlan, T.
Collins (1-1), K. Moloney, M. O'Donovan (1-6, 0-4 frees), J. Duggan (0-1).
Subs, S. McCarthy (1-0), M. O'Regan.
Kinsale: M. Hurley, R. O'Sullivan, J. O'Callaghan (0-1), J. Connolly, G.
O'Sullivan, D. Hurley, N. Dunne, R. O'Brien, A. Bolster (0-4, all frees), C.
Hurley, M. O'Leary (0-1), T. O'Leary, D. Hurley. 
Subs, P. Hurley, (0-1), C.O'Brien.

Semi Final South East Championship
Courcey Rovers V Sliabh Rua (Ballymartle)
Wednesday 11th July



Courcey Rovers GAA Club
 Official Website  |
Created by D.Corcoran











Quarter Final Cork Co. Senior Championship
Carrigdhoun 2-11 V 2-17 Newtownshandrum
Saturday 11 August @ Ballinangly

"WE expected a tough game and we got it," said coach Bernie O'Connor after
champions Newtownshandrum advanced to the TSB Cork County SHC semi-final in Ballyanly, beating off a spirited Carrigdhoun challenge to book a date with
Imokilly. Indeed it took some real class from son Jerry in the final quarter, points
out of the top drawer, to quell a stubborn divisional challenge.

Scorers for Newtownshandrum: Jerry O'Connor 1-4, J.P. King 1-3, B. O'Connor 0-4 (0-1 free, 0-1 sideline), P. Mulcahy 0-3 (frees), John O'Connor, P.
Noonan, D. Murphy 0-1 each.

Carrigdhoun: M. Prout 2-0, R. Dwyer 0-4 (0-2 frees, 0-1 '65), N. Murphy, F.
Walsh, J. Mullaney (0-1 free) 0-2 each, P. O'Dwyer 0-1.

NEWTOWNSHANDRUM: P. Morrissey; J. Griffin, B. Mulcahy, J. McCarthy; P.Noonan, P. Mulcahy, J. O'Mahony; D. Murphy, I. Kelleher; A.T. O'Brien, Jerry
O'Connor, J.P.King; B. Troy, B. O'Connor, John O'Connor.

CARRIGDHOUN: J. Kelly (Ballymartle); B. O'Sullivan (Ballinhassig), J. Burke
(Valley Rovers), D. Healy (Ballinhassig); A. McCarthy (Ballymartle), B.
Lombard (Ballinhassig), N. Sheehan (Ballymartle); J. Mullaney
(Ballinhassig), R. Dwyer (Ballymartle); D. Hayes (Courceys), N. Murphy
(Carrigaline), S. Hayes (Courceys); F. Walsh (Tracton), J. Murphy
(Courceys), P. O'Dwyer (Ballymartle). Subs: D. Duggan (Ballinhassig) for D.
Hayes, M. Prout (Shamrocks) for Walsh, J. Hurley (Valley Rvs) for S. Hayes,
B. O'Driscoll (Carrigaline) for P. O'Dwyer.

Referee; C. McAllister (Midleton).

Third Round Cork Co. Senior Championship
Carrigdhoun V Douglas

Sunday 15th July @ Pairc Ui Rinn

Second Round Cork Co. Senior Championship
Carrigdhoun 1-13 V  0-10 Midleton 
Saturday June 16th @ Caherlag (Erins Own) 

Carrigdhoun registered a rare victory in the TSB county senior hurling
championship when they deservedly came out on top against Midleton at Caherlag on Saturday evening.
Although the South-East divisional side were quickest to settle, they lost their way for a spell entering the second-quarter when it took some sterling work by their defence to keep Midleton at bay.
As it was, the East-Cork Magpies, who were three points in arrears before corner forward, John Moynihan, got them off the mark in the 14th. minute, managed to forge two points ahead, and they must have been fairly satisfied with the way things were shaping up as the first-half drew to a close. But Carrigdhoun stopped the rot before the break, and an opportunist goal from Frank Walsh virtually on the stroke of half-time gave them a huge boost which they wasted little time in building on when play resumed.
Carrigdhoun stretched the gap with early second-half points from Patrick
O'Dwyer, Ger Cummins and Frank Walsh, and, in truth, they comfortably
maintained the whip-hand until the finish. 
In the final analysis, Midleton could have no real complaints about the outcome, although the absence of veteran attacker, Ger Manley, through injury didn't help their cause on a day when their forwards never looked the part. Midleton certainly enjoyed a share of possession during the second-quarter, with their half-back line of Oisin Cotter, Peter Smith, who fought a rare duel with Carrigdhoun's Ger Cummins, and Aengus Cotter showing up well, and Micky O'Connell also making his presence felt at midfield. But their attack found it extremely difficult to unhinge a Carrigdhoun defence in which full back Conor O'Riordan was especially unyielding, and John Burke, Declan Healy and Noel Sheehan rarely put a foot astray either.
Both Colm Sheehan and Rory O'Dwyer did well at midfield as Carrigdhoun made the early running, and Niall Murphy and Ger Cummins(2) landed the points which gave them a most promising start.
The efforts of the two Cotters, Smith, and O'Connell, who received good
support from Michael Keohane at midfield, turned the tide in Midleton's
favour, however, before a bit of hesitancy in defence cost them dearly.
It allowed Frank Walsh to poach the vital goal for Carrigdhoun, who, on the overall run of the play, were perhaps a mite flattered to lead by 1-6 to 0-7 at the break.
But there could be no disputing that Carrigdhoun were the better team in the second-half, and the writing was clearly on the wall for Midleton when they fell seven points behind, 1-12 to 0-8, before the three-quarter stage. Ger Cummins, Niall Murphy and Frank Walsh were most impressive in attack as Carrigdhoun made the decisive push, and any hopes of a Midleton revival virtually disappeared after Micky O'Connell incurred a facial injury and had to retire for treatment. On returning to the fray, O'Connell was slotted in at corner forward, and Midleton sadly missed his drive and leadership at midfield as they tried vainly to wrest the reins of control from Carrigdhoun.
In fairness, David Quirke, ineffective at full forward, had his moments on
moving to midfield, and O'Connell paid his way in attack with a couple of
fine points, but Carrigdhoun's advantage was never seriously threatened in the closing stages when Midleton's tale of woe was completed by the
dismissal of Peter Smith for a wild pull. Carrigdhoun's defence continued to look very solid, and Colm Sheehan and Rory O'Dwyer got through a share of good work at midfield, as the South-East men remained firmly on course for a win that was sealed by a late point from Niall Murphy.
Even if Midleton can no longer be regarded a major power, the result enabled Carrigdhoun, who beat CIT in '98 and Bishopstown last year, to claim their most prestigious scalp in the championship in a very long time. And, on the evidence of this workmanlike and disciplined display, they are entitled to look forward with optimism to their clash with last year's intermediate champions, Douglas, in the third round.
Scorers - Carrigdhoun: N. Murphy 0-6, 0-4, frees, G. Cummins 0-5, 0-2 frees, F. Walsh 1-1, P. O'Dwyer 0-1. 
Midleton: M. O'Connell 0-4, 0-2 frees, M.Keohane 0-2, W. O'Brien, J. Moynihan, D. Quirke, free, and A. Cotter, 0-1 each.
Carrigdhoun: J. Kelly (Ballymartle), J. Burke (Valley Rovers), C. O'Riordan (do.), D. Healy (Ballinhassig), J. Mullaney (do.), B. Lombard (do.), N. Sheehan (Ballymartle), R. O'Dwyer (do.), C. Sheehan (do.), S. Hayes (Courcey Rovers), G. Cummins (Ballymartle), R. O'Donovan (Valley Rovers), N. Murphy (Courcey Rovers), P. O'Dwyer (Ballymartle), F. Walsh (Tracton). Subs, E. Newman (Valley Rovers) for O'Donovan, B. O'Driscoll (Carrigaline) for N. Murphy, J. Hurley (Valley Rovers) for Newman.
Midleton: B. Behan, P. Hartnett, M. Boylan, W. Wallis, O. Cotter, P. Smith, A. Cotter, M. O'Connell, M. Keohane, W. O'Brien, S. Corcoran, D. O'Brien, J. Moynihan, D. Quirke, P. O'Brien. Subs, L. Walsh for O'Connell (injured), O'Connell for Moynihan, A. McDonnell for D. O'Brien.
Referee, D. O'Leary, Cloughduv.  SouthernStar


Courcey Rovers GAA Club
 Official Website  |
Created by D.Corcoran









Cork Co. Senior Championship 2nd Round Replay
  Carrigdhoun 0-6 V 0-12 Naomh Aban

Saturday May 26th @ Kilmurry 7:30pm

The replayed second round senior football championship game between Naomh Aban and Carrigdhoun took place at Kilmurry on Saturday evening last and the Ballyvourney side who felt that they let victory slip from their grasp the previous week were clearly anxious to come out on top in the replay and stay in the championship race.
They suffered a set-back before the game as regular midfielder Jack Lynch was unavailable because of injury and the consequent re-arranging of the Naomh Aban team meant that their power in attack was reduced. Their leading forward Cork senior Micheál Cronin had to be moved to midfield to partner Gary Lynch and even though he performed well in his new position, his presence in attack was sorely missed as Naomh Aban missed numerous scoring chances in the first half. Carrigdhoun also had some changes in its line-out compared to the drawn encounter and their mentors decided to play Nicholas Murphy at full-forward in an effort to give power to the forward line. That decision did not prove to be success however as Murphy did not receive a regular supply of ball and when it did come his way he was fairly well
contained by reliable Naomh Aban full back Donal Óg Lehane. 
Naomh Aban attacked strongly in the opening minutes of the game and they got off to a good start when Micheál Cronin pointed a free in the second minute. Their subsequent forward play left much to be desired, however, as they only succeeded in scoring one additional point during the rest of the opening moiety and their attack was guilty of the most diabolical shooting imaginable. Naomh Aban's second point was also scored by Micheál Cronin when he kicked over from play after an effort from a free rebounded off the cross-bar and back into Cronin's hands. Carrigdhoun, from far less scoring opportunities, managed to score three points during the same period. Nicholas Murphy was on target from play, Eamon Collins converted a free and an Ollie Conlon point put the divisional side ahead. There was no score in the eleven minutes before the break as the Naomh Aban squandering continued so Carrigdhoun were in the flattering position of leading at the interval on a 0-3 to 0-2 score.
Naomh Aban kicked nine wides during the opening moiety as a major
improvement in attack was needed if they hoped to stay in the championship race and one wondered if the second half would witness any improvement. Naomh Aban did get on level terms when Gary Óg Lynch was on target but their supporters still had reason for concern when Eamonn Collins converted a Carrigdhoun free to restore the lead for his side. There was a noticeable improvement in Naomh Aban's display at that stage, however, and as all members of the team began to perform effectively they managed to put scores on the board. Gary Óg Lynch, Micheál Cronin and Daire O'Sullivan all raised white flags so Naomh Aban were two points ahead by the 40th minute and even though Carrigdhoun did succeed in reducing the arrears to the minimum through an Eamonn Collins pointed free, the men from the Muskerry Gaeltacht were now shaping like winners.
Their defence put up the shutters while their attacking play was proving to be more successful. The winners scored five points from play without reply from Carrigdhoun between the 42nd and 54th minutes so the challenge of the South East men was clearly dying. Kevin Lynch, Daire O'Sullivan, Micheál Cronin, Anthony Lynch and Paud Dineen were all on target during the most impressive attacking period by Naomh Aban
and there was no way back for Carrigdhoun when a goal scoring effort by Nicholas Murphy was foiled by Denis Dineen in the Naomh Aban goal.
Murphy's goal scoring effort in the 52nd minute was the one occasion that Carrigdhoun succeeded in prising open the Naomh Aban defence in the second period and when the excellence of Dineen in the winning goal denied that attempted major the challenge of the South East side was clearly over.
Carrigdhoun did score one additional point before the end when John Burke was on target but Naomh Aban had the final say and a pointed free by Micheál Cronin in the 59th minute brought the curtains down on the activities. Naomh Aban's second half display was reasonably impressive and they are a team with a good degree of potential who could be a force to be reckoned with as the championship progresses.
Their defence was very effective where Tadhg Scannell and Donal Óg Lehane were very impressive for the full hour while Anthony Lynch was in top form at centre half back in the first half and equally good in the second half when he moved to centre field. Micheál Cronin put in a good hour at centre field and the forwards who achieved most were Gary Óg Lynch and Daire O'Sullivan.
Carrigdhoun's best were Alan Quirke, Ger Spillane, Michael Prout and John Burke. Cork senior Nicholas Murphy retired injured in the closing stages and it is hoped that his injury is not too serious. 
Naomh Aban, Micheál Cronin 0-5, 0-2 frees; Gary Óg Lynch 0-2; Daire
O'Sullivan 0-2; Kevin Lynch, Anthony Lynch and Paud Dineen, 0-1 each.
Carrigdhoun, Eamon Collins 0-3 frees; Nicholas Murphy, Ollie Conlon, and John Burke 0-1 each.
Naomh Aban, Denis Dineen, Tadhg Scannell, Donal Óg Lehane, Sean O
Herlihy, Paud Dineen, Anthony Lynch, Colman Twomey, Gary Lynch, Micheál Cronin, Kevin Lynch, Gary Óg Lynch, Daire O'Sullivan, Diarmuid Lynch, Donal Cronin, Denis Cronin. Sub, Justin Twomey for Donal Cronin.
Carrigdhoun, Alan Quirke, Valley Rovers; Neil Hayes, Carrigaline; Ger
Spillane, Ballygarvan; Tadhg Burke, Valley Rovers; Michael Prout, Shamrocks; Ken O'Regan, Kinsale; James Bugler, Valley Rovers; Mark Kelleher, Valley Rovers; John Burke, Valley Rovers; Oliver Conlon, Carrigaline; David Fleming, Carrigaline; John Murphy, Courcey Rovers; Ken Ashman, Ballygarvan; Nicholas Murphy, Carrigaline; Eamon Collins, Valley Rovers; Subs, Vincent Hurley, Courcey Rovers, for Conlon, Mark Doody, Carrigaline, for Ashman, David Murphy, Ballygarvan, for Fleming, Edward Newman, Valley Rovers, for Nicholas Murphy.
Referee, Richard Murphy, Lyre.  Southern Star

 Cork Co. Senior Championship 2nd Round 
Carrigdhoun 0-12 V 0-12 Naomh Aban

Saturday May 19th @ Kilmurry 

The South East divisional side Carrigdhoun has performed well in the Cork senior football championship in recent years, and they gained a lot of respect last year when they secured a couple of  good championship victories. Those wins did much for the character of the team which came very much to the forefront in their opening championship game at Kilmurry on Saturday evening last.

Carrigdhoun faced Naomh Abán and the men from the Muskerry Gaeltacht were naturally determined to capitalise on their second chance following their defeat at the hands of Castlehaven in their first outing.
John Murphy (Courcey Rovers) Captain Carrigdhoun
Senior Football Team seen here before the game

The Ballyvourney side was consequently fancied to have the edge on the South East men and there were occasions over the hour that they appeared to have killed off the Carrigdhoun challenge. Naomh Abán led by six points ten minutes into the second half of the exchanges, but Carrigdhoun refused to die and they were on level terms by the 49th minute.
Naomh Abán regained the initiative to score three points without reply, but Carrigdhoun again fought back and they determinedly went on the offensive in the final minutes to raise three white flags.
The sides will consequently have to meet again and the Carrigdhoun people can feel particularly happy with the spirit their team displayed on Saturday last.
Cork senior panelist Micheál Cronin, who posed significant problems for the Carrigdhoun defence over the hour, opened the scoring when he kicked over a point from Naomh Abán but that score was not followed by any significant bout of attacking play by his side.
It was Carrigdhoun who went on the offensive and they were off target with a couple of point-scoring efforts before David Fleming kicked an equalising point. Naomh Abán regained the lead when good work by Colman Twomey put Daire O’Sullivan in a scoring position and the latter duly obliged by raising a white flag.
Carrigdhoun, however, took the lead before the end of the first quarter thanks to a point from a free by Oliver Conlon and one from play by Kenny Ashman.
The South East side did not score again during the first period, however, and the second quarter belonged very much to the Ballyvourney men. They had the edge at centrefield where Gary Lynch was performing reasonably well in his duel with regular Cork senior midfielder Nicholas Murphy, while Garry’s midfield colleague, Jack Lynch, had the upper hand on his opposite number.
It was inevitable that Naomh Abán would improve their position. They scored four points in the remaining period before the break when Micheál Cronin raised white flags to be followed by a point from play by Gary Óg Lynch and Cronin was on target from another free in the 24th minute.
Naomh Abán consequently looked good at the interval when the score read 0-6 to 0-3 in their favour and prospects of victory for the Ballyvourney men were enhanced early in the second half. Micheál Cronin converted frees and substitute Paul Dineen linked up well with the attack to score Naomh Abán’s ninth point.
Carrigdhoun’s fortunes greatly improved, however, when the introduction of some substitutes and also some positional changes made a significant difference and they began to reduce the arrears.
Substitute Eamon Collins opened Carrigdhoun’s second half account when he converted a 45 and they subsequently scored five more points without reply. Sean M. Collins was on target from play, Eamon Collins converted a free and a minute later Mark Kelleher scored a point from play. Two points now separated the sides and Carrigdhoun stayed on the offensive.
The South East men were on level terms by the 49th minute thanks to points from play by Sean M. Collins and Ken Ashman. The situation was worrying for Naomh Abán at that stage as they had lost the initiative at a time that they appeared to be totally in control.
It is to their credit that they managed to regain the initiative at that stage and they were back in the lead in the 51st minute thanks to a long-range point by Micheál Cronin and things again looked good for the Ballyvourney men when another long-range point, this time by Diarmuid Lynch, put them further ahead.
Micheál Cronin converted a free, so Naomh Abán now looked to be very much in the driver’s seat, but Carrigdhoun’s admirable refusal to die again manifested itself and they fought back strongly in the final minutes. Eamon Collins converted a free to reduce the arrears and Carrigdhoun stayed strongly on the defensive.
Michael Prout scored a point to reduce the arrears to the minimum and excitement was now at fever pitch as the full time whistle approached. Carrigdhoun were wide of the posts on two occasions and they now appeared to have run out of time as the game was in its added-on period. Carrigdhoun forced a 45 and Eamonn Collins made an effort to secure the equaliser from this, but is effort dropped marginally short. Naomh Abán, under pressure, however, conceded another 45 and David Fleming was delegated the task of taking it. Fleming’s effort was low and a good bit short of the target, but, fortunately for Carrigdhoun, it was collected by a colleague, substitute Vincent Hurley, and he confidently drove the ball over the Naomh Abán crossbar so the sides must meet again.
Naomh Abán will be disappointed with the end result considering that they led by six points at one stage, but they possibly got complacent and they were facing a side that was well prepared enough to finish the game strongly. Naomh Abán’s best player was their full back Donal Óg Lehane and other defenders who impressed were Tadhg Scannell and Anthony Lynch.
Gary Lynch and Jack Lynch both showed up well at midfield while Naomh Abán’s scoring power in attack centred mainly on Micheál Cronin. For Carrigdhoun, Alan Quirke was very reliable in goal, James Bugler, Gerard Spillane and Ken O’Regan impressed in defence and others through the field to show up well were Sean M. Collins, Mark Kelleher and Ken Ashman.
Naomh Abán: Denis Dineen, Aodh Twomey, Donal Óg Lehane, Sean O’Herlihy, Tadhg Scannell, Anthony Lynch, Colman Twomey, Gary Lynch, Jack Lynch, Kevin Lynch, Gary Óg Lynch, Daire O’Sullivan, Diarmuid Lynch, Micheál Cronin, Denis Cronin. Sub, Paud Dineen for Aodh Twomey.
Carrigdhoun: Alan Quirke (Valley Rovers), Linden Kiely (Kinsale), Donal Bugler (Valley Rovers), James Bugler (Valley Rovers), Michael Prout (Shamrocks), Gerard Spillane (Ballygarvan), Ken O’Regan (Kinsale), Nicholas Murphy (Carrigaline), John Burke (Valley Rovers), Sean M. Collins (Valley Rovers), Mark Kelleher (Valley Rovers), Oliver Conlon (Carrigaline), John Murphy (Courcey Rovers), David Fleming (Carrigaline), Ken Ashman (Ballygarvan). Subs, Eamon Collins (Valley Rovers) for Burke, Niall Hayes (Carrigaline) for Kiely, Vincent Hurley (Courcey Rovers) for Conlon, Brian Hayes (Courcey Rovers) for Donal Bugler.
, Richard Murphy, Lyre.==Southern Star Newspaper


Courcey Rovers GAA Club
 Official Website  |
Created by D.Corcoran








If you have the scores of any Other Club Matches played this year, please email us the details at 

Competition Date Opponents Venue Courceys Score Opponents Score
S.East Junior Football League 18/02/01 Ballymartle Home 0-9 0-3
  01/04/01 Valley Rovers Brinny    
 Junior A Hurling Leage 25/03/01 Carrigaline Carrigaline 2-12 1-10
  19/04/01 Diarmuid O Mathuna Coppeen    
  09/05/01 Clonakilty Home    
Junior B Hurling Leagues 18/04/01 Shamrocks Shanbally    
  19/05/01 Skibbereen Home    
  24/05/01 Killbrittain Home    
Football Challenges          
Hurling Challenges          


Courcey Rovers GAA Club
 Official Website  |
Created by D.Corcoran












First Round All County Cup
Courceys V Boherbue
Sunday 15th April 




Courcey Rovers GAA Club
 Official Website  |
Created by D.Corcoran





First Round All County Cup
Courcey Rovers 2-16 V 2-7 Meelin

Mallow Monday 6th May



Courcey Rovers GAA Club
 Official Website  |
Created by D.Corcoran